Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Dating.....

My mom is dating. In fact, she has a serious boyfriend. (Read: They only date each other) I've been asked numerous times how I feel about this... what my thoughts are. For those who keep inquiring... here you go... in print...

I am thankful that mom is dating again. In January, she and I spent a good amount of time talking about the whole dating thing. I shared with her then that only she could decide for herself how she was going to live life..... 1) as a widow 2) as still married 3) single. Think about it..... we all know women who act like widows... then there are those who we know have had their spouse to pass away but you would never know it if you didn't know it. Then, there are those who realize that they've kept the vows they made and can move on as a single. On Valentine's Day as we stood in cemetery after having finalized dad's will, that's exactly what mom said.. "I kept my vows." She was right. She is not wrong for wanting to date.

As to some of the other questions:

- Do I like her boyfriend? Yes, I do. He is a very caring and dear man.

- Can he replace my dad? Well, no obviously. But, I can say that he and I are friends. When we see each other - we hug and catch up on daily events as friends do.

- Do I hope they get married? Well, if that is God's plan - then absolutely.

- What will that mean for us since we live together? Life is an adventure. Only God knows the bigger picture.

- What about our commitment to take care of mom and dad the rest of their lives? We fulfilled that with dad. Mom will always be ours to care for regardless of whether or not we live under the same roof or not. Love knows no bounds or addresses.

- How do the kids feel about it? Ask them. They are old enough to speak for themselves. Remember... they are our kids. If you ask - they will share. They love her. Their answers reflect that.

- What would my dad think? He and I had numerous conversations about things most people never even want to entertain or have to think about. He didn't want her to be alone. Yes, there are five of us living with her but it is not the same no matter how one cuts it.

- Why am I wearing these rings on my left hand now? A couple of years ago I lost my wedding rings. I am honored now to wear the rings that my dad placed on my mother's fingers on June 15th, 1962. I have the rings she had and my brother has the one dad did. Some times love means giving things away for others to make their own.

Now... if you really want to know how I feel about dating these days..... ask me about our oldest son...... HUGE difference between a 64-year old and soon to be 16!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very mature attitude and very loving. I'm certain mom appreciates your love for her and God.

Now when you figure out the teen dating thing let us know! My 19 yo has never dated any girl (a couple of dates but never a girlfriend) whereas my 16 yo is dating a girl already!) Ugh ... whatever happened to watching ballgames on the coach with my arms around them or wrestling them both with one hand!!!

>>> Those were the days my friend we'd thougt they'd never end ...

Cameyg said...

Thanks Phil....

You daddy you! That was too sweet.. Just don't look for me to figure out the teen dating thing.. Maybe hubby will though! Now if we had girls... perhaps I could.. I don't claim to understand how the male mind works - whether teenage or otherwise. lol

Funny how we thought they'd never end and yet looked forward to the future. Isn't life just like that?

Thanks for your time & thoughts friend.