Saturday, June 28, 2008

Life's AHA Moments! Compassion.

Last night our two oldest sons, Austin and Travis (16 & 13) returned from Student Life Camp. As I sat there and listened to them.. it was clear that they indeed have had "AHA" moments this past week.

I asked each one of them, "If given the choice between going back to Student Life Camp for another week or going back to Mission Arlington - which one would you pick?" They both said Mission Arlington. In fact, Austin said, "I don't think I'll be going to Student Life Camp next summer. My plan is to be out serving others instead." Travis said, "I'd definitely take Mission Arlington. Sure it was tough work but well worth it."

As with any trip away from mom and dad our sons go on, I spent some one on one time with each son. A couple of weeks ago, I thought about suggesting to Austin that he adopt a child through Compassion International (www.compassion.com) - I decided against it. Now I know why......

Austin has adopted Frixon Ariel Medranda Vera - a ten-year-old boy from Ecuador this week through Student Life Camp for $40.00 a month. Any day of the week as a parent and as a sister-in-Christ - I'd rather him do such a thing because he is compelled to because of God's love outflowing through him. Austin is at the little store here in the highly secure gated community as I type this with yet another purpose for his service there. He is a stocker, checker, produce man, and etc. with a joyful heart and a smile that reflects that even when he is dirt tired.

Travis said to me, "Mom, I have to agree with Austin. I don't know that I'll be going back to Student Life Camp next year either. I know there are better ways to spend my time for God." We have seen such incredible growth in Travis the last few months especially. And as Parker, our ten-year-old said, "That's what we're suppose to do - not stay the same. We're suppose to grow as we serve. And serve as we grow." Talk about "AHA".....

Parker has spent a good amount of time with me at the physical church building this week. We've talked about the various things as they've gone on. From the phone calls of individuals seeking shelter, food, or ...... to those who walked in the doors - we talked. One man came in to the building as I was upstairs making sure the night service was on. Parker ran up the stairs to get me saying, "Mom, I think he's been in jail. He needs help." He was right. And when I told the man I remembered him from a few months ago, he had tears streaming down his face.....

"You remember me Camey?"

Please note here.... I did not have my name tag on. He then said, "I remember how kind you were to me. Thank you."

God's Compassion fails not.... we just have to remember it's His... not ours to keep.

As with Compassion International.... it can be as simple as $40 a month..

As with Healthy Kids... it can be as simple as giving out a free lunch...

How is His Compassion flowing out of you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are three fine fellas you've raised, and are raising. And they can't find a better investment than to spend $40 a month to release a child from poverty in Jesus' name!

Cameyg said...

Thank you, Vicki.