Thursday, June 21, 2007

Unchanging in the Midst of Change

This morning as we were walking through the trees... I couldn't help but think about how He is unchanging in the midst of change. The trees are so alive colored with many shades of green and in all shapes and sizes. We had added two more in our quest for healthier lives. While Ms. Rhonda (& Mr. Danny) encourages our children - we encourage theirs right back. Couldn't help but think about the fact that this time last year - we did not know them yet. They have added so much to our lives. And without question - gave us a great gift when daddy passed..... a night at a bed & breakfast for just hubby and myself. Actually... the real gift is their friendship... their love... What makes it even sweeter? We don't always see eye to eye on every thing. Wow! Talk about refreshing to so many degrees.

The last couple of months I have been taking care of children in the nursery/preschool on Wednesday nights. This is a part of ministry for me. Last night as I was climbing up the steps of the play gym holding a sweet little boy's hand - out of the corner of my eye - I saw his dad. He couldn't leave the nursery last night. The news about his health had his wife crying upstairs in hubby's Bible study class. The look on his face was that of pain.... of uncertainty. A few weeks ago... his little boy wouldn't let me close to him if his dad was around. He not only let me hold his hand.... he also wanted me to pick him up in my arms. For a moment, his dad smiled.

There's another little boy who tends to want to challenge authority. He was throwing rocks and telling me "NO" and running away to the corner of the playground area. Yet, later as we were back in the room..... I joined him on the floor while he was building with blocks. At first.... I just sat there watching and asking a question here/there..... He looked at me and said, "You can build too if you want." I smiled and started picking up a block. He looked at me cross ways and said, "Don't put it there. It doesn't really belong. Put it here." I couldn't have said that I knew better and put it where I wanted instead. Nah..... There are times when it is not necessary to be in control. Another girl joined us and she kept asking him where he wanted her to put each block. All the sudden he moved over closer to me.... and said, "Jesus wants us to be friends. We can build this and then knock it down together." He was smiling and so were we. The room was actually the calmest it had been all night.

There's a man mowing his lawn across the street. His mind is slowly fading away. He forgot that the lawn pastor was going to take care of it this morning. Yet... there he is on his riding mower. He tells the same stories over and over again. Sometimes hubby reminds him - other times he doesn't. He has lived a fascinating life. I can't help but wonder - where is he really today in his heart? His little wife frets over him and he doesn't even realize it. Yet.... their love is as sweet as iced tea here in Texas.

While it is all good and fine to have individuals in our lives who we can call upon in the midst of changing times..... They in no way can compare to the ONE who never changes. His love is where the real power comes from. If you're reading this today and thinking to yourself, "But Camey? You don't understand my situation..." I don't have to. He already does.







No comments: