Monday, June 18, 2007

The Student/Youth Ministry...

Austin... The soon to be 16-year old son...and by mom's request I'm giving my thoughts on student/youth ministry...

Student/youth Ministry - ministry to teenagers. DUH! What do we do? We listen, have fun, make friends, find girlfriends/boyfriends, and learn about things teenagers need advice on through God's word. What do we talk about? Stuff that teenagers need to know about; money, love, sex, drugs, about God, and anything else that's on in a teenager's world. The fun stuff? Camp, events, retreats, and other stuff. Where do we draw the line of fun/seriousness? That's not an answerable question. It's different for everyone. What can we get out of it? As much as our minds will allow us to. Flaws? Oh sure, every ministry has some sort of flaw in it. The youth ministry's flaw? I'm not a youth minister, so I can't tell you. But someday i might be; I have a calling to ministry, and if by chance that's being a YM, then lets GO! The student body has screwed up on things. But does that stop us? I don't think so. Does it makes us stronger in Christ? You bet it does. Certain students aren't as strong as others, but its the strong student's job to help the weaker students out and make them strong. Its not just the YM's job to make a strong youth group; it takes the strong youth helping out the weaker youth. And its up to the youth to help other youth that don't know the WORD to come to youth activities. Usually camp brings the most in, but other events can bring others as well. The youth need to make up new ways to share their faith, like me, who runs the Christian Halo clan Evangelancer, {ELC}, and spreads the gospel throughout the halo world. But there are other ways as well. I'm afraid i cant list them all, and im afraid im out of time.

God bless,

Austin

4 comments:

karen said...

Great words, Austin. I don't know you, but I am a youth leader (not a pastor, or minister, just someone called to love teens)... just curious what your thoughts are on what teens are looking for in a youth leader... how about some pointers for those of us trying to do our best to bring truth to students like you and your peers..??

Cameyg said...

Karen,

Austin wanted me to tell you that he appreciated your comment and about your love for youth. He is going to be conducting a survey for you with some of his friends tomorrow night at church. Watch for it to show up as a main post.

Thanks!

karen said...

can't wait to read it! I'm really enjoying your blog. I almost feel like I'm intruding in your personal life, but if you didn't want people to know, it would be here, right? thanks for sharing your heart and giving others the chance to be blessed by it.

Cameyg said...

Thank you Karen.. More than touched.