Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Salt & Pepper

As our youngest son Parker loves to point out.... I have many gray hairs. There are a few women who think it is not proper for him to discuss that with his mother... or all the other people he discusses it with. I disagree. Totally. Completely. Disagree. Let me explain why...

When I made the decision to no longer color my hair two years ago - Parker was a big part of that reason. My hair at the time was red. When I first dyed it red - Parker said to me, "You finally look like my mother." Parker is a major redhead. We laughed ourselves silly over that. Our two other sons have hair colors that I have been at one time or another. Austin's - my natural color. Travis - did that for a short window when I was in my early 20's. I dyed my hair red after being physically healed. Actually... I didn't dye it - hubby did. That hubby of mine....... some of our funniest moments at the kitchen table and with the sink. The boys watching their dad coloring their mom's hair - hilarious! The smell? One does not forget easily....

It is also no secret that some of our best conversations as a mother and child have taken place in the morning curdled up in bed. It has been during these conversations that Parker really gets up close to his mom. It is our alone time until another brother climbs in. During the years that I was ill - it was mom lying in her bed that Parker was all too familiar with. Not just in the morning - but all throughout the day/night. There were days when leaving the bedroom unless going to the hospital was just out of the question. Parker associated my red hair with my being healed. In of itself - that is not a bad thing mind you..... It was a miracle. An undeniable miracle.

When I started going off diving boards, climbing trees, riding a bike and roller skating - Parker and the comment about my hair finally making me look like his mom sank in. That's when I knew I had to STOP IT! My hair wasn't red. It hasn't been red since I was a little girl. Being a redhead was not who Parker's mom truly was. Especially not at that point and time. There was no question that I could no longer color my hair any more.

Now there are those that would say that is a downright silly thing. Okay. Free to have an opinion of course. Even those opinions who think I should not only color my hair but cut it short since I'm this old now, a women's minister, and hubby is a pastor. But please do not miss the point of this post.....

I have accepted the fact that my hair is definitely salt and pepper. More salt is being added daily. It is only because of time spent with Parker though (or the other two boys for that matter) that each one becomes more precious to me than gold. Why? Because in order for them to be noticed - or counted - it does require getting up close and personal with mom.

And for that....... I say.... bring on the salt!!!!!

No comments: