Monday, April 21, 2008

The Doctor and the Great Physician.

Yesterday, I was reading the local newspaper online just like I do every single day. As I came to a story about an accident involving a motorcyclist - I knew that there would be a connection between that individual and myself. I started praying for that individual's family.

Today, as I was reading, there was her name in print. A name that was found on daddy's prescription bottles for many years. A name that was discussed numerous times in this home. A name that I came to know with red hair, glasses, and a "How are we doing today?" A name that I called when the daughter became the caregiver those last 18 months.

One day when I was out to lunch with some of my seminary friends, I ran into this woman. Her words to me that day, I have not forgotten. They remain with me still.... even more so now.

While I believe that the doctor is now with the Great Physician, I ask for prayers for her three children. Two daughters and a son. And if you're local and run across a Shank, ask them this simple and yet profound question, "How are we doing today?" and please be willing to listen.

For in life's moments it is clear, "For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone."

No comments: