Friday, June 20, 2008

Those Calls. Those Faces.

Little did I know when I wrote that post this morning what would transpire on this regular Friday.

Parker wanted to be with me today. He was still asleep when I left for the physical church building this morning, so I let him stay asleep. Around 10:00 a.m. he called me still really wanting to be with me even though there were others at the house. There was a sense of urgency to his voice. I immediately left and went back to the highly secure gated community and picked him. My phone rang again while driving...

Parker and I then had an adventure with the young woman and her four-month-old son. She needed to be moved from one place to another. The timing did not work out for an individual I had arranged it with. So, there we went... Parker and his mom... also his sister in Christ.

The little car could not hold all her and the baby's things. Two trips were necessary. As Parker and I got back in to the car to head back over to where she was at - the car would not start. Please keep in mind here that I am talking about the sixteen-year-old car which totally has a mind of its own as we say. I was calling the physical church building for assistance when finally - it started and we were back on our way.

After we got her and the baby's things all moved - we got some lunch and took her to the place in which she now has a job. Her and the baby mind you... The manager totally agreeing to give her and the baby a ride back when they were finished.

Parker was a tremendous help during all this. He not only helped keep an eye on the baby while he was in his car seat or bouncer, but also made him smile and babble. Please do not lose sight of the fact that I'm talking about mine and Brother G's ten-year-old. He could have been at the house playing video games or whatever else. He knew he needed to be with me. Funny how that works. Also, the manager could have said no to the baby coming with her and to giving them a ride when finished. Too many other details falling into place so quickly.

Shortly after getting back to the physical church building, individuals started returning from Healthy Kids. Families going out and feeding families today. A dad, mom, two boys and a daughter not only giving out free food but books as well. Another set was an older man and his daughter... the volunteer which I talked about yesterday. The older man has just agreed to help teach seventh-grade boys Bible study on Sunday mornings. Travis, our middle son, is in that group.

Like I have said numerous times... I do not believe in coincidences.

Kind of like how a church on the other side of town called today. They saw on-line where we're doing the same VBS they are and want to see how we can work together in reaching this town for Christ those weeks by sharing resources. That church is where we held the worship services for our annual Love Granbury this past April. Love Granbury being where we go out as The Church and share God's kindness in our town and surrounding communities. That's the weekend that Austin made public his surrender to God and ministry. He's been a Christ-follower since he was in the first grade.

Behind me at the front desk sits a box of food waiting for an individual to pick up. I'm watching one of the dearest people I know clean windows even though in a couple of hours... there will be children all over this place for a Kids Night In. The kids stay - the parents/grandparents go out.

And as I was typing that last part... another call for assistance came in..

Those calls. Those faces.

It's Friday... not a Sunday....

Fortunately, God does not live by times on a website or entrance door alone.

What time does your clock say it is?

How will that direct your steps and sharing His love and kindness?

No comments: