Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Update. Christmas 2007.

Update:

Thank you to all who prayed for Shelley's grandfather, her family and her. His surgery went well and he was released from the hospital on Christmas Day! Thank you again.....

Christmas 2007:

Last Thursday, I was given a wonderful assignment. It was to ask 5 family groups per our two Christmas Eve services to participate in the service itself. This type of assignment goes hand in hand with a church body that is in transition. I got input from several of the different ministries.. I then began calling individuals. By early Friday afternoon, each space was locked.

One was to be the Berry Family. If you remember, Briggs was on lifeinthemoments as a prayer request. He was only given two weeks to live.... You should have heard his voice when we were on the phone Friday.... From what I heard.... it was clearly moving when he read his part of Advent.... If the doctors had been right... he would not have been there. Yet, God had other plans for his life.

Part of the design of who was asked to participate was the scope of how many & the ages of family members they have who are a part of our local church body. In the 2nd service.... 40 plus was the total for the five family groups. 3 generations in 4 out of the 5. Did you catch that? Generations being impacted... Oh the stories I could tell you about these families... One was Ms. Nell's who I recently wrote about in Subway Testimony.

When I was given the assignment, it was asked that we were to be a part of an actual service... the six of us. Brother G and Austin were already a part given what they do of course. Little did I know...

When the six of us were reading our part of Advent... Salvation.. as I looked across the sanctuary... I could see faces. Faces of individuals that I had never seen before.. Faces of some whom I/we love beyond words. Faces of individuals who have been being prayed for... they were no longer names... they had faces now.

When the service was over.... Several of the family members came up to me.. It was clear by the looks on their faces, their body language, and what they had to say... this had already been no ordinary Christmas. If one can ever be.......

One of the individuals I had never met before personally and I were introduced. We hit it off immediately! She is a homeschooler.... and is Jewish. We spent the next few minutes talking away. Hugs were given as we left the physical building.... A new friend was made.. I have no doubt phone calls from Houston and G-town will follow... What an amazing woman she is! I had to laugh though when she asked if I am a professional public speaker. And apparently, one of my nephews thought I sounded along the lines of a certain woman who is heard speaking all over the world... Laughter... what a gift.

Brother G, myself, Parker, and my brother's wife had cooked most of dinner before the service. We came back to the house and had a wonderful meal together. Did I ever mention that Brother G is an amazing cook? Oh my... So is this particular s-i-l.... We enjoyed our time together as the B/G family.. They spend the night as a part of tradition...

Christmas morn came with wonderful surprises. Something called a Wii has found its way to this house.... And I have never been more thankful for a game system as funny as that sounds. Why? Christmas Day afternoon and evening.... was spent somewhere completely different for the five of us... in Dallas with several members of the G family.... Hubby's parents, two of his brothers, one sister-in-law, and three dogs made for an unforgettable time! Watching them all play the Wii together was beyond a bonding adventure... Laughter was abundant..

What was so amazing about our time at D and L's home as well.... as we sat around their dining table... she teared up and said, "This has always been a dream of mine. To have family around our table at Christmas time." She had wonderful little treats at each place setting along with paper crowns... Brother G's was pink... His dad's purple.. Each gift between all there was thoughtful... it was evident that real consideration into who each person was definitely given. Totally awesome! I sit here now with a new nickname... Marshmallow. The pink peep has been replaced...

As we came back home... mom was sitting in her chair watching a movie on TV. As the boys talked with her about their time with the other side of the family... it was clear... we really are one in the bond of love... His love... Even with the memories of Christmas' past with ones no longer physically here...

Brother G was truly moving this year.. more so than ever.... The gifts he gave me... to the married couples on both sides of the family... the personal notes he wrote of encouragement, love and hopes for the future. The reasons behind the Wii coming to this house..... oh my... And yet...

There is no gift that can compare to Jesus. Christmas Eve and Christmas Day may have come and gone and still Christmas is not over....

May it be alive and living 365 days a year! May His Spirit be ever present in your moments.

And may you dine at His table as family.

No comments: