Friday, November 23, 2007

For The Love of a Hug

Yesterday was a beautiful day as we traveled to and from a couple of different homes. The 80's that we had known just a couple of days before were transformed into snow and sleet. That is what happens here in Texas.

The last home we were at was filled with children of various ages. One child in particular really stood out to me. When he and I were talking, I made a point to tell him that I had been praying for him since we last saw each other. We talked about his daily life. A life that I won't go into detail here except to say.... pray for him and his family.

One of the other children made a comment about me being like their mom. He was ribbing me and giving me a hard time. The one child in particular walked up to where we were standing and hung onto every word. We then started talking about the various ways we communicate. Something was said about one way that surprised the one child. I told him that he could communicate with me that way as well if he wanted. He smiled from ear to ear.

When we were leaving, hugs were given all around. When I came to hug him, he hugged me first and hugged me tight. And told me thanks for spending time with him and for even caring. Oh, it is times like that especially when tears well up within me.... And I was thankful that we had included this home in our day. As we walked out the front door..... the snow was coming down even heavier than before. White snow falling.......

This child is actually a teen by age. He has already communicated with me in the way he hadn't known he could before. He reminds me of one little boy from years ago. I was saying goodbye to him as we were preparing to move. He told me thank you for all the hugs I had ever given him. That it was because of those hugs that he came to know Jesus was real. He was a child that had known me when I couldn't move my arms or even a finger.

The point of this story is..... you never know what a hug might mean to another. You might be the only person who ever really hugs them. Can you imagine going through life without hugs? I know I cannot. I know I can remember what it was like when someone was hugging me but I could not actually feel it and yet I still knew they loved and cared for me. Can you imagine wanting someone to love you, hoping that they do, and yet.... they never give even the hint of wanting to put their arms around you? There are those who do know... They don't have to imagine.

A hug can be simple. Or it can make a difference in a person's life... Not because of you or me... but because of His love alone. He loved first after all....

Signed,
A Hugger Without Apology

No comments: