Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Testimony - Love Granbury - Kayla

Hello, my name is Kayla, and I was one of the many youth that participated in the Love Granbury weekend. The Love Granbury weekend was where youth from different churches across Granbury participated in random acts of kindness throughout the town. We did things such as: mow lawns, highway cleanup, run a full service gas station and help people out with their groceries, just to name a few.

One of the things that I did was hand out water bottles on the square. As we handed them out we would usually say things like, “Jesus loves you!” or “God bless”. Some of the responses that we received were really surprising. We heard people say things from, “Oh, thank you so much, keep living for Christ!” to “What do you mean it’s free? I don’t get it, no really how much is it?”. Some people even stopped to talk to us for awhile, usually saying things like, “Why are you doing this?”, and that just gave us a better opportunity to speak with them about God.

The one other thing that I did was help in the cleanup of yards that were basically destroyed by the floods that came earlier this year. I was amazed to see the horrible condition in which some of these homes were. A few of the homes were actually picked up by the water and moved to the other side of their lot. To mow some of these yards, first we had to clean up all the trash in the yard itself. When the water rose, it was actually in these houses and brought almost everything out into the yard itself. We picked up not only trash, but also in the midst of all the litter were things like, old Polaroid Christmas pictures, and other priceless family pictures that at one time probably meant a lot to the family members who lived there. But all of these items our now sitting in their yard, just waiting to be destroyed by the Texas heat.

I guess that the main thing that I learned from this experience was that this happened in our own city, not another state, not across the world, but in our own city. It really shows you that there are mission opportunities all around us. We just won’t take the time and look for them.
I came into Granbury Love weekend not really knowing what it was all about. In the end, I realized that there are so many people in this world who don’t know our loving Savior. I also learned that you don’t have to go to Africa or some other foreign place to find people who are desperate to know him. I thought that this was a great event, and I hope that we realize that we can do this any day of the year. My prayer is that we would strive every day to reach out and do the little things that make a big difference.

Kayla

No comments: