Wednesday, August 5, 2009

When Faith Knocks: How Do You Know That?

"How do you know that?" If I had a dollar for every time my dad said that to Dick or someone asks me that... it is from that perspective I share this morning.

Growing up I was taught and experienced many things as the daughter of my dad - especially as it related to God, Jesus, Spirit... people, teaching, giving, sharing and the local church. In some circles, I've shared more openly about it than I have others. That has been very intentional on my part. My dad was not a pastor. But no question he was a servant and a minister. He was a deacon, intense about outreach, a Bible Study teacher, on more committees than he forgot, but I can still vividly remember. I know... I just showed my Baptistic card. It's all good.

I'll never forget riding with my dad to the airport to pick up a man our church at the time was considering as their next pastor. Nor have I forgotten the conversations as that man came to our house for lunches and dinners.. to break bread together, to share, and most importantly - to spend time praying together. Most of the time - only the B family and those on the pastor search team knew he was even in town. That's just a tad of my experiences as my dad's daughter. And when I say, "just a tad"... several books from that alone could be written.

Now, the tables have turned.. I am the wife of man a pastor search team is considering for their next pastor. And while there is so much more to this story that I will not share until after a yes or no is heard from God..... my having been my dad's daughter is wrapped in to this story just as much as whose wife I am. More importantly though than that... it is the time spent listening to my Real Father, studying His Word and our family (the G family) - my husband in particular... Did I mention before we will be celebrating 20 years of marriage on August 19th? I kind of like that guy you know.. So much so that I know when his heart is glowing and overflowing as his face is showing and his actions are. No matter what happens with this other church - the evidence speaks for itself.

For clarification purposes... my husband is an intern with our current church. Intern.. not to be confused with interim. While many know my husband as a pastor already... whenever that call comes to another church it will be for him to be their pastor. Yes, I am a woman minister as well, but I follow my husband.. not the other way around. And I wouldn't have it any other way. If I never receive another blessing before drawing my last breath on this earth... I am blessed beyond any and all measure to live the moments in life that I do. And I am thankful to have had a dad that included me at the table when others might have said, "Kids should not be a part of this."

So, dear reader, let me ask you....

How do you know what you know??

As always, dear reader, you've been prayed for.

Much love,
Camey

1 comment:

Bill (cycleguy) said...

I know a lot of what I know because of my mom. She had a desire to be a missionary while in high school but ended up marrying my dad. She became a missionary to her 4 boys (I am the oldest). I can remember our talks about being a pastor. I can remember the early mornings before school that she would get up and have devotions with me because she knew i was serious about my faith. Until she went to be with Jesus in 2004 I know that not a day went by that she did not pray for me. I know she is now one of the witnesses and if those in heaven pray for those on earth, I know she is. I also know because of Pastor Ralph White, who came to our church when I was in 7th grade and for 4 years poured himself into me in so many ways. He is now "retired" and living and working in Branson, MO but I still think of him. I am also incredibly grateful for a supportive and loving wife of 36 years (got you beat but then I again I am ancient). :) And I have 2 incredible daughters. I may not always be able to discern the leading of the Lord but I know I have been and am loved by those closest to me. Appreciate your thoughts Camey. And always...dangerous prayer said for you today.