Thursday, July 16, 2009

More Than Breath II - Gravesite Mission

Yesterday morning I headed to the pcb (physical church building) for the first time in 12 days. Heavy on my mind was Sue and her request which would take me to Ft Worth. I was working through my/our calendar and trying to determine when I could go. Then, I received a comment from one of my dearest friends, Sheri Hammond on the note, "More Than Breath".

"Always on mission, whether on a mission trip or night. It's all in your attitude and willingness. You were put there on purpose :-)"

Funny enough? By those very words I knew somehow that Sheri was going to become even more a part of the story and mission. She was a part of the prayer support team for us in Idaho. She is a part of the G family prayer support team. That's one of the ways we have become such dear friends in the last few months. I wasn't sure what God was up to. Just knew Sheri was going to be used. That she was going to offer herself in some way.

A little bit later, I received a facebook message from Sheri. She was heading in to Ft Worth and offered to go to Mount Olivet Cemetery. I could help but get all teary and was moved beyond words. Most people want nothing to do with cemeteries - especially when they do not personally know the individuals involved. And little did we both know what an adventure her just even getting there would be. Can you say a blowout on one of her tires? Two individuals stopping to help her? And of course, no one that works at a cemetery is usually in a hurry. ;-)

Sue had given me the death certificate and I had written down the exact location. Her daughter's body is buried in the Rose Garden. Soon enough, Sheri had found the spot. She didn't just check on the date of birth on the tombstone... she even took pictures to share with Sue back in Idaho. Sue hasn't been to her daughter's graveside since the funeral due to her own health and living so far away. Did you catch that? Sheri even took pictures for Sue.

Amongst all the hats/titles that Sheri wears, one of them is a Nurse. Her compassion and mercy for individuals who are physically hurting is great. What is even stronger is her love for God and therefore for people. It was out of that and not knowing how much longer Sue is going to be physically alive that she was willing to go to what some would call a stranger's gravesite.

When an individual has come to even taste a tad of God's love for them, strangers are not seen the same way. They simply cannot be. It was not necessary for me to be the one to go the gravesite. Just for me to be willing. Sheri did not go to Idaho in the physical sense. Make no mistake about it though, she was there because of prayer. And it is no coincidence that she offered some of what might seem like her Wednesday afternoon even. Funny how God works when we say, "Here am I, Lord. Send me."

Sheri... Love you beyond words dear sister in Christ. Thank you for answering God's tug on your heartstrings and walking in the overflow of His love.

Today, I will call Sue and give her the news that her daughter's date of birth has indeed been changed. We will then determine how she will see the pictures.

The moments in the dash matter. How are you going to use what may seem like your moments today?

Are you willing to offer yourself to reach out to those who may seem like strangers?

As always, dear reader, you've been prayed for.

Much love,
Camey

UPDATE: Sue has been called. The sound of her voice as she heard the news will not leave me for a long time. To hear that Sheri even took pictures for her to see, priceless.

No comments: