Thursday, June 5, 2008

Thoughts From 4 Hours of Sleep...

Wednesdays are my sheer nutty days. I arrive at the physical church building at 8:30 a.m. and do not leave usually until 8:30 p.m. Brother G and I finished the class on marriage we were teaching. So, I found myself hanging out in the Attic with Shelley, Ryan, Micky, Linc and our students - grades seventh through twelfth. (Brother G was in and out as different individuals wanted his attention.)

Ryan was on tap for the night's main talk. As I sat in the back of the room and listened and watched our students - it was clear that they were really listening to him. Ryan has a way with words because of God's love for him, his love for God, and definitely love for students. I am so thankful that the G family has Ryan in our lives. He is a brother is the truest sense because of Christ. I am grateful for his commitment to students and their families. For student ministry is not just about the teens alone nor just about the years they spend in it. Ryan gets that.

Shelley was the closer. Like I told her last Wednesday night after hearing the last 10 minutes of her talk.... I am proud of her and the stand she takes because of Jesus. I am thankful that she is not afraid to hold teens accountable... and love on them like Jesus. To put up those boundaries that teens so desperately need even if they tell you they don't want them.. they really do. Yes, Shelley is the student minister of our two oldest sons. She really is far more than that... She is a sister in the truest sense because of Christ. The G family is incredibly blessed to have her in our lives and for the privilege of being in her's.

In the last few weeks, God has brought into my life a few girls that I know I'm supposed to be reaching out to and those connected to them. For some reason - three of them have the same names even though they are spelled differently. Last night, I got to spend some quality time with two of them. It is no secret that I consider being in their lives as sheer privileges.

Softball Ash has very quickly taken up residence in my heart. She sought me ought while we were worshipping. She always wants a hug. And since I'm a hugger... well, there ya go. One way I have come to worship & praise God after receiving a complete physical healing back in 2003 is through my arms and hugs. Ash said to me, "Camey... There is power in your hugs." Please do not lose sight of this.... it is not my power.... is not in my own strength that I am able to hug. It is only the Great Physician's.. the Almighty King of Kings - my Lord and Savior.

Dating Ashley, as I'll call her, and two of her closest friends and I had a real in-depth talk about all things boys. This Ashley is dating a teenage boy who is like one of my own sons. In fact, he was the one that introduced us to each other. One thing I know to be true.... teens needs adults in their lives who are willing to be real with them. They crave individuals who they can really share with and know that the adults won't just say, "Stop that." Who will ask the hard questions such as "Why?" Who will come pick them up at 2 o'clock in the morning if they get themselves in a situation they need and/or want to get out of. Do not ever tell a teen to call you if you won't be there.

The Students and a few nutty adults and one ten-year-old went to the 9:55 p.m. showing of Prince Caspian. As we were sitting in the theatre - I saw her... the third Ashlee. She did not know I was there until after the movie was over and I walked up behind her and her date. As several of our students were teasing me about something - Ashlee said to me, "You know _____ had her baby. She's ready for you to really start talking to her again through myspace. Her and her boyfriend live in G-town now. She doesn't want you to leave her alone now."

As I sit here thinking back over yesterday after 4 hours of sleep.... I am even more convinced...

While waiting - do not wait. Life's moments are about Him.

How can you be the hands and feet of God today? This moment?

And if you're reading this and do not know Him..... I pray that today will be the day when you see Him if even for only a moment and consider the possibility that He exist and loves you right where you are.

No comments: