Monday, August 20, 2007

Whispered and Shouted.

Our trip to Amarillo last week was definitely successful. The Lord really used the time we were away to speak into our lives. The time with hubby's parents was good for all of us. His dad was sick... yet.. especially with that..... His presence was felt... no doubt... Just as it is sitting here right now... this moment...

When hubby first suggested that we go to his folks' to see them and as a vacation... I must confess - I was not excited. Hubby kept gently talking to me about it.... HE changed my heart with whispers. Little did I know what the week would hold.... Man, I love it when that happens.

I am a mother to three boys and yet have also been in a season of being like a mother to my own mother. For those of you who keep telling me to put her in "time out" - I know you understand what I mean. Going to Amarillo meant not being here for days/nights.... My weaknesses were totally dependent upon His mercy. What's new there??

On our very first night there.... hubby took a walk with Park, his mom, and the dogs. I sat on the balcony alone with the night air gently blowing.... Little did I know what the Lord was truly up to.... It is like peeling back layers of an onion. It can smell... make one cry... and yet can be used for recipes to satisfy the soul... Man, I love it when He exposes yet another layer...

While out on their walk, they came upon a man and his wife. Park and his grandmama returned. Hubby didn't for a while. In truth... I got a little tick. I faced it later.... I was being selfish. Here we were on this trip that I hadn't really wanted to take and hubby was off somewhere. I should have known there were reasons why.... HE always knows better than I do....

We spent time over the course of being there with this man, woman, her mom who lives with them and their twin sons. I won't share all about them except to say this..... they had been completely turned off from God. Yet, by the time we said goodbye to them on Thursday night.... hugs were given all around and the "Your family is welcome here any time" was said to us.

We ventured out numerous times to look around Amarillo and to shop. Some of the time we had the boys with us and other times it was just hubby and his wife. We all enjoy going to Lifeway stores. We truthfully can spend hours there if we're not careful. I had passed by a section on our first trip in there and had seen some material that I thought looked like a possibility for my group. When hubby and I were sent out of the house on Friday so grandmama and the boys could make our anniversary cake - I finally decided to purchase said material. I started reading it and without a doubt - will be using it..... In fact, I started talking with the girls about it yesterday morning. It was the deepest class we've had as of yet... Hmmmm the trip that I really hadn't wanted to take ended up yielding something that I had been looking for and praying about... Man, He is soooooo good like that.

As I mentioned in the first paragraph, Art was sick while we were there. He wasn't just sick... He had pneumonia. I knew he had it when sitting at the table for dinner that first night - I could hear that all too familiar sound. And he didn't get onto me for feeding Sarah and Sally under the table. Park said to me at one point.... "I'm not scared of you getting sick any more mom." Hubby used to freak out when I was around anyone who was sick... especially with pneumonia that once was the great enemy. It's amazing how an enemy can turn into more blessings and some of the greatest learning moments of life and living. God is so loving that way.....

Where we live..... we do the cleaning, cooking and etc. This past week... I wasn't allowed to do any of that. Neither really was hubby.... This was good for us. Weird and hard at times and yet good for us. It was a vacation in those areas. It truthfully caught me off guard. Man, I love it when He surprises me like that. It was refreshing.... and yet, as strange as it may sound... I came away appreciating cleaning and cooking even more. Now THAT has to be Him.....

Our time with hubby's parents went the best it has in years. They had asked us to come and visit them. I had to ask forgiveness for not wanting to go when their asking was definitely an answer to many, many prayers prayed. Confession and forgiveness are tremendous blessings... and do more for life and living than we can honestly ever truly grasp.

There were times of shouting... One night as we sat on the back porch which happens to be on a ladies' tee box of the golf course they live on.... Sarah was let off her leash... and boy did she ever run after those rabbits! Watching her run free and then come back when her master shouted for her to return to him.... Volumes spoken... and heard clearly.

These were just some of the moments... And I am thankful and grateful beyond measure..... More to come.....

What is He whispering and shouting in your own life?

No comments: